Mar Gregorious Orthodox Christian Students’ Movement (MGOCSM) , is the students’ wing of the Indian Orthodox Syrian Church. The organisation owes its name to its patron saint, Mar Gregorious Geevarghese (Parumala Kochuthirumeni), the first saint from the Church, to be venerated. The Niranam Unit, started in September 1985, is based at St. Mary’s Orthodox Syrian Church (Niranam Valiyapally), Niranam, Kerala. The Niranam church is an important christian centre as it was founded in AD 54, by St. Thomas, one of the apostles of Jesus Christ.
About 100 students from various disciplines are members of our unit. The Vicar of the parish is the President of the unit. A committee, selected annually, headed by the Secretary carries out the routine activities of the Unit. A sincere group of senior friends also help the students in organising various activities.
The Unit meets every Sunday after the Holy Quirbana. The sessions comprise of prayer, bible reading, devotional songs, classes/speeches, quizzes, personality development programmes, games, entertainment programmes etc. Various other activities which do justice to the motto are also organised. Some of them are :
- Classes on faith, liturgy and traditions of the church
- Educational orientation classes and personality development programmes
- Providing study materials, uniforms and other scholarships to financially backward students
- Awards for academic excellence
- Providing clothes, medicines and financial aid to the needy
- Annual grants to selected orphanages and charitable institutions
- Arts and sports competitions for Sunday School students, during Onam Holidays
- Annual tours to various christian centres and other important places
- All Kerala Quiz and Light Music competitions
- Publishing Newsletters and Magazines (for circulation among members only)